We usually read about toys for children aged 6 to 12 years, but many children of 10 years have already started to change and they are teenagers. Early childhood at this age is over. Their tastes and preferences are also changed when they play, although we will tell you this another day.
Therefore, we will talk about children from the beginning of primary education, although this is of course the case. A six year old child has little to do with another who is already looking further outside the home to be attracted to his peer group rather than toys; nevertheless, we have tried to summarize all the toys that you might like. This does not mean that if an older child wants to play with toys we should prevent it, it is not my intention to convey this idea because I defend that parents should stick to their personal interests. If you remember, we had introduced the idea that between the stages of the game, is the game of rules, and that (approximately) is acquired by 6 or 7 years.
The rule is part of the children’s game, since they are younger, but at this age they can already decide on the basis of other people, and the interpersonal relationship is gaining strength. It is true that they still have a characteristic inherent in childhood, That is the search for the immediate, getting pleasure, hence the rule we are talking aboutThey still perceive it as loss / gain, not because of the possibility to negotiate or cooperate. In children over 7 years, you will notice a real interest in children of the same age and similar, and this determines both the environment in which they prefer to play (street, park, house, but also with other children). such as toys that increasingly become “games”: Table, team (table soccer), etc.
How to choose toys for children from 6 to 10 years: What will we take into account?
- I never tire of repeating: safety is the most important thing. Check the CE marking and make sure that the product is suitable for the age of the girl or boy.
- Let’s avoid gender stereotypes: if a girl wants to play with dolls, let her play. if you prefer to do it with superheroes too.
To avoid boredom, look for stimulating and fun toysLet the child participate and join in the game. There are many little people who do not like very complex toys because they force them to be passive.
- Learn to differentiate from misleading advertising and train children to do the same
- Since in those years many already have a console (laptop or desktop) or a tablet; Let’s be careful when choosing video games. There is a classification that responds to the acronym PEGI in
- Europe (over 3, 7, 12, 16 and 18). If you select games from categories higher than your child’s age, you may find inappropriate content for their age.
- Let’s make a pact with the extended family: it’s not educational for a child to receive more than 3 toys, he must learn to appreciate what he receives and keep it.
How to choose toys for children from 6 to 10 years: What toys to give?
It does not hurt that the children gradually take over the task of collecting and ordering toys, especially if it is played in common spacesand that they learn to take into account the characteristics of those who play with them; For example, the 2-year-old brother, another child with a disorder that makes it difficult for him to communicate, etc.. Above all, they are human beings and we want them to understand and accept the needs of others.
Most suitable types of toys
- Science and experimental games (microscope, toys to experiment with light, etc.).
- JBoard games (dominoes, chess, monopoly, the goose, etc.) and cards.
- Car or motorcycle tracks.
- Remote control toys (helicopters or cars).
- Imitation games: Kitchen set, knitting game, make-up, baby care.
- Construction games with small parts (LEGO or Playmobil type).
- Symbolic play: costumes, accessories.
- Musical instruments.
- Paintings, garden games, more complex puzzles.
- Video game.
- Books (appropriate in format and satisfied in his age) I consider essential.
Always remember that they are still children and that play is a necessity for them. You must respect and encourage it!